Friday, October 06, 2006

Making Gates

Well, I haven't been posting much lately. That will probably continue for a bit. With cooler weather and the ever-increasing tidy-up projects, more of our free time has been spent outside. For the last couple of weeks I have been welding a gate together from scrap oilfield pipe, and an antique spoked wheel. We have always wanted an exit from the front yard west into the pecan orchard, so as cooler weather arrived I began the project. I made the breach in the fence over a month ago, and then had the hardest time finding the material needed to do what I wanted to do. The gate is up in the gap but I am still working on the nifty little latch. I should be finished with all but the brushing down and painting this weekend. This gate is the widest of my three yard gates because the other two were too small to allow our new mowing machine into the front yard. This Sunday next I suspect that Pastor Rod will be discussing gates, as he has worked his way through The Sermon on the Mount to that point (Matthew 7:13, 14) where Jesus commands his hearers to “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.". I remember the first time I heard a message from this passage from Thom Smith, now pastor of Randolph Street Baptist Church, in Charleston, West Virginia. It must have been twenty-five years ago. The thing I remember him stressing most was that most people draw the wrong analogy from the two gates. The two gates do not represent belief versus non-belief, but rather the one, true belief versus all of the multitude of false beliefs. Pastor, Sunday-school teacher, Brother, as you preach, teach, walk, what kind of gates are you building for people to walk through? Be sure to check out all of the other bloggers photos at the Friday Photo Group on Flickr. I have started a set on Flickr named Making Gates that I will be adding to as my gate project progresses. Check it out.

No comments: