Thursday, August 10, 2006

Welch's or Wine: No Comment - Well, Not Much

Now Bobby Welch has weighed in, among other things, on the alcohol resolution. In many ways, there is nothing much worth commenting on. As far as I can tell, he doesn't start out defending his position, as some of those who have weighed in before him have. He simply begins by attacking his opponents. When I got up yesterday morning, all of the blogs I read had his name somewhere in the title or first paragraph of their posts. There has been adequate commentary, so I don't feel the need to comment on his statements. Here is a list of those posts. I do feel the need to comment on one thing. I believe in providence. I don't know why things happen when and the way they do, but I do not believe that anything happens by accident. Last week a friend, just out of the blue, brought me a VHS cassette of the movie The Untouchables, with Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, and Robert De Niro. He said he thought I would like it. I had never seen the 1987 movie, which is not uncommon for me. There are many movies I have not gotten around to watching, for a number of personal reasons. For some reason, I decided to watch this movie. The Untouchables is all about America's prohibition of alcohol, and the mob. The story is set in Chicago in 1930, and Robert De Niro is Al Capone, while Kevin Costner plays Eliot Ness. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to draw a one-to-one correlation here, on any level, but there was something that sent chills through me viewing the character played by Robert De Niro. Al Capone was so suave, so charming in public, especially with the press, but you could tell, just barely, that there was more to the man than just charm and dimples. I got that same uneasy feeling upon first seeing Bobby Welch and Paige Patterson at Greensboro this spring. First impressions mean a lot to me. Some people call it prejudging, but I call it carefully reading the minutiae: the tiny details of someone's mannerisms, a smile, a wink, a word. I am often wrong in pegging a bad guy as good, but never the other way around. I'm not saying these men are evil, I'm just saying they like to win, and don't and won't take loosing lying down. I wonder if either of them has a baseball bat in his office.

5 comments:

Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Brother Wayne,

I think that to equate Dr. P and Dr. W with Al Capone is not up to your usual standards of Christian conduct.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

Wayne Hatcher said...

MDBY, you misrepresent my words. I merely said "I got that same uneasy feeling" when I first saw these two men, and I prefaced that with the statement "I am not trying to draw a one-to-one correlation, on any level". I was merely relating my uneasy feelings. The imagery I used was intended to shock, but I was being carefull not to "equate" these two men with Al Capone. The movie shocked me in many ways. I don't usually watch such violent movies. I was just relating how my thoughts were oozing out. I am sorry if I came across as less Christ-like than in other posts.
Wayne Hatcher

Jeff Richard Young said...

Dear Brother Wayne,

I'm sorry for jumping on your case. This Welch's deal has me a little rattled.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

Wayne Smith said...

Wayne,

YOU ARE SO RIGTH ON!!! In my humble opinion.

My Brothers and Sisters over the years have told me that I have the Gift of Prophecy. I never paid that much attention to that except, that what I have thought or said, always came TRUE. When Dr. Charles Stanley (Past President SBC) Preached a series on the (Ministering Through Spiritual Gifts), We recorded the Series. When viewing, Dr. Stanley Preached on the Gift of Prophecy, my wife and Family said, thats you (Right On). In Touch had a test that one could take, so I took the Test and it said I (by100 Percent) had the Gift of Prophecy. We purchased the CD series for Our Home Bible Studies and it is a Great Tool.

That Said: I got involved in Blogging because of hearing about something happening within the IMB of the SBC. My family and I have been involved in the Missions Field for many years, and I know the LOVE that one has, who is in or about Missions, for the LOST. When I looked at all the Bloggers I saw Many Hearts and some without Hearts.(GOD KNOWS). If one was to follow my comments or posting, one would see my opinion, I have never (even though I try) been a perfect CHRISTIAN. I read and comprehend, when reading articles and seeing Pictures of the authors I draw opinions. Thus this is why I say YOU ARE SO RIGTH ON!!! In my humble opinion.

A Brother in CHRIST

Wayne Smith said...

ABOUT ME
Living in the Power of the Holy Spirit - Jan. 8, 2006
Part 4: The Gift of Prophecy

I. Characteristics of someone with the gift of prophecy:

A strong need to express himself verbally.
A strong ability to discern the character and motives of other people.
Wholehearted involvement in whatever he is doing.
Very open to correction.
Extremely loyal.
Willingness to suffer for what is right.
Persuasive in defining truth.
II. Misunderstandings about someone with the gift of prophecy:

His sense of right and wrong is often judged as intolerant.
His strong desire to proclaim truth is often interpreted as disinterest in listening to other people.
Frankness is viewed as harshness or impatience.
Interest in groups may be misinterpreted as a disinterest in individuals.
II. Misunderstandings Cont.:

Efforts to gain results may be seen as using gimmicks.
Interest in decision may appear to be neglecting spiritual growth.
Public boldness and strict standards may hinder intimate personal relationships.
III. The Gift of Prophecy: Spirit vs. Flesh



Spirit
Flesh

1. Truthfulness
Deception

2. Obedience
Willfulness

3. Sincerity
Hypocrisy

4. Morality
Impurity

5. Boldness
Fearfulness

6. Forgiveness
Rejection

7. Persuasive
Conentious