Friday, December 23, 2005

Emmanuel's Land (The Sands of Time are Sinking)

Better than planting taters and onions, indeed! Notice how Heaven is described, not by what we will do, or think, or say, or feel , or touch, or taste. Heaven is all about Who we will see, "without a veil", and who we will be with. A note of clarification: I have two hymnals that include this hymn, one omits the second verse listed below, the other omits the fifth verse. The midi file that I have attached only enough music for four stanzas. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Words: Anne R. Cousin, 1857 Anne R. Cousin was the wife of William Cousin, pastor of the Free Church of Melrose, Scotland. She contributed many poems and hymns to various periodicals of the day. This hymn is based upon the writings of Samuel Rutherford, 1600-1661 Tune: Rutherford by Edward F. Rimbault, 1867
The sands of time are sinking, The dawn of heaven breaks, The summer morn I've sighed for, The fair sweet morn awakes; Dark, dark, hath been the midnight, But dayspring is at hand, And glory, glory dwelleth In Emmanuel's land. The King there in his beauty Without a veil is seen; It were a well-spent journey Though seven deaths lay between: The Lamb with his fair army Doth on Mount Zion stand, And glory, glory dwelleth In Emmanuel's land. O Christ, he is the fountain, The deep sweet well of love! The streams on earth I've tasted More deep I'll drink above: There to an ocean fullness His mercy doth expand, And glory, glory dwelleth In Emmanuel's land. The bride eyes not her garment, But her dear bridegroom's face; I will not gaze at glory, But on my King of grace; Not at the crown he gifteth, But on his pierced hand: The Lamb is all the glory Of Emmanuel's land. O I am my Beloved’s And my Beloved is mine! He brings a poor vile sinner Into His house of wine I stand upon His merit - I know no other stand, Not e’en where glory dwelleth In Emmanuel’s land.

No comments: